about: Museum History

UNC-Chapel Hill's Old Well

The Chapel Hill Museum was founded to exhibit the Character and Characters of Chapel Hill.

The building in which the museum is housed was built and dedicated in 1968 as the Chapel Hill Public Library. Though contemporary in design, the structure incorporated familiar elements of Chapel Hill construction, such as the stone walls.

After a new library was built on Estes Drive, the building had multiple uses, including the housing of the Chapel Hill Historical Society. In 1997 it was chosen as the site for a new Chapel Hill Museum

The upstairs has two gallery spaces, a director's office, a volunteer room and a kitchen/workroom space. On the lower level is a meeting room, the offices of the Historical Society and the archival storage areas of the museum.

There are currently 12 exhibits of different scope and size. The two main exhibit halls feature changing exhibits on about a 6 week to 2 month cycle. Visitation grew to over 20,000 a year and the education programs benefit over 2000 local students per year.

(919) 967-1400 / fax (919) 967-6230
info@chapelhillmuseum.org
523 East Franklin St., Chapel Hill, NC 27514